Sunday, February 12, 2012

I'm Thinking About You

I'm thinking about you like Charlie Brown thinks about kicking that football.
And Lucy thinks about making Charlie Brown look stupid.
Poor Charlie Brown.


I'm thinking about you like goldfish think about whatever they think about
for their three seconds of memory. And cheddar.


I'm thinking about you like hypochondriacs think about the common cold.
and mold.
And being bold
in taking medicines for that supposed cold.


I'm thinking about you like germaphobes think about public bathrooms.
And hand sanitizer.
And hand sanitizer in the public bathrooms.


I'm thinking about you like tylenol thinks about headaches.
And headaches think about tylenol.
And you. I get headaches when I think about you.
Because I think about you as much as the sun thinks about shining.
And diners think about dining.


I'm thinking about you like insomniacs think about sleep.
And sleep thinks about dreams.
And dreams think about Sleeping Beauty.
Because she's always talking about her "Once Upon a Dream."


I'm thinking about you like cowboys think about horses.
And country girls who move to the city think about acres
and trees and horses and the goats...
who always think about eating.


I'm thinking about you like accents think about Britain.
And Britain thinks about those obnoxious Americans.
Like American girls think about foreign boys.


I think about you like sinks think about being emptied.
Like old toys think about being played with.
Like skunks think about spraying
and kids think about playing.


I think about you like peanut butter thinks about jelly.
And bananas. And no-bakes. And the endless recipes
that involve it.


I think about you like authors think about inspiration.
Like high school seniors think about graduation.


Long story short, I think about you. A lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment